Tuesday 2 February 2010

Exercise Classes

Well, I have put myself on a somewhat vigorous exercise regime. When writing and working on the computer a lot, it is important to get enough energetic exercise to balance things out. But I must, of course, be careful not to overdo it!


Anyway, twice a week I am now going to what is known as 'The Exercise Clinic'. The session is taken by a lady who used to be a classical ballet dancer; she has a wonderful figure, and an amazing posture of course. I would like to look a bit more like that - but that will take a bit of doing (to put it mildy)! But she is a very good teacher, and comes round and gives us personal help and advice as well, which is also all very good.



Then, I am going to another session on circuit training - very energetic that one! I am with quite a few young mums, which is rather nice. Their toddlers get looked after by the vicar's mother-in-law whilst we all run and jump around. Works really well.


And in between all this I am going swimming and walking etc (things I have always loved doing), and am really trying to think more about my body and my posture in general. Finally, I feel that I am in a position where I can give it some better attention. But of course, as I say, I must also try to make sure that I don't overdo it! Life, as ever, is a fine balancing act.


I was also interested to discover the other day that the lady that takes 'The Exercise Clinic' is hoping and intending to compile a DVD and an ebook around her exercise class. With this in mind, she has been taking a lot of photos. Many people that to go her class have really benefitted from it all; and will continue to do so. It is an overall all-body exercise, so it can particularly help older people that have arthritis. One lady, for example, was even able to 'throw away' her walking stick after attending the class.


It is noticeable though, that there are no men at all in the class - and it is not a ladies only class or anything. It is sad that men seem to feel awkward about attending such classes, or think it is a waste of time, not for them etc. All such attitudes helps to explain why women live longer than men on average, I am sure. I was talking about all this to our eldest son, Alexander, recently, and it is interesting and useful to try to bring all these different elements together. He himself has noticed the difference in attitude between myself and Glenn on these health matters, for example!


So, it is not simply the case that men get the best deal in capitalism; it is far more complex than that. Because men are physically stronger than women, society wants and expects them to work harder and longer. This can be related, specifically, to Glenn Rikowski's labour-power theory. More value is embedded in men's labour-power than in women's; this is then transferred into the workplace and men work harder and for longer hours. And so they earn more. See Glenn's article, 'Against What We Are Worth', on our website, which explores this whole topic in a lot of depth -




At the same time, society is more understanding with women in regard to their health. People are very aware of the fact that they would look pretty callous if they did not take women's issues (such as monthly cycles) on these matters seriously. Also, of course, the consequences could be very serious; women could, indeed, become very ill; tribunals could result etc. There is little such sympathy or concern for men on these matters though; instead, they should stop just being a wimp, is more of the mentality that is generally foisted upon them. But it is certainly somewhat ironic that the sex that is physically weaker, and so has to take better care of its health in order to survive, ends up doing just that, and then, on average, lives longer. We are back, once again, to the inequalities and the horrors of capitalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment